Top South African artists, including Lionel Smit and Brett Murray, have decorated 11 surfboards that are on exhibition a stone’s throw from the ocean in Muizenberg, near Cape Town.
The Wavescape Art Board Project for 2016 culminates next Tuesday 29 November when comedian and auctioneer Nik Rabinowitz bangs his special shark gong at each successful bid in aid of Waves For Change, Shark Spotters and the NSRI.
The surfboard art exhibition is the first of a number of surf culture and ocean events that form part of the Wavescape Festival, which is presented by Pick n Pay. This year, the artists are Brett Murray, Lionel Smit, Jenna Barbe, Peter van Straten, Steve Pike, Sujay Sanan, Conrad Botes, Jake Aikman, Alexis Aronson, Chris Burkard and Manuela Gray. The surfboard shape this year is a three-fin high performance shortboard.
The exhibition begins today at Tiger’s Milk, Muizenberg, 9am til late, and runs daily until Tuesday 29 November when the boards will be sold to the highest bidder at 8pm. Doors open at 6pm. Nik Rabinowitz will do some comedy first. Contact the Wavescape Festival if you would like to bid by proxy or phone. Call Shani 083 509-5106 or visit www.wavescapefestival.com
The ArtBoard project has been raising awareness and funds for ocean charities since 2005, notably NSRI, Shark Spotters and Waves For Change but many others. We have helped fund several NSRI boats and helped the Shark Spotters keep surfers and sharks in mostly harmonious co-habitation.
Wavescape Festival 2016 Lineup
- Artboard Exhibition: Tiger’s Milk, Muizenberg (9am til late, Mon 21 Nov – Tue 29 Nov, free)
- Fish Fry: Jack Black Brewery, Diep River (6pm, Sat 26 Nov, R40)
- Artboard Auction: Tiger’s Milk, Muizenberg (7pm, Tues 29 Nov, free)
- Beach Film: Clifton 4th Beach (9pm, Sat 3 December, free)
- Short Cuts Workshop: Woodstock Exchange (4pm, Mon 5 Dec, free)
- Slide Night: Centre for the Book (7pm, Tues 6 Dec, R120)
- Be Frank Film Night: Jack Black Brewery (7pm, Wed 7 Dec, R55)
- Beach Reach: Muizenberg Corner, (10am, Sat 10 Dec)
- Film Festival: Labia Cinema (6 and 8pm, Thu 8 to Sun 11 Dec, R55)
- Sea-Change Night: Two Oceans Aquarium (7pm, Sun 11 Dec)
Proudly supported by the Save Our Seas Foundation, WWF-SASSI, the South African PET Plastic Recycling Company, Marine Stewardship Council, Jack Black Beer, Fipper South Africa, Cape Town and Western Cape Film and Media Promotion (a division of Wesgro), Long Beach Capital, Channel 24, Fast Company South Africa, Wavescape.co.za, Sunday Times Your Neighbourhood, Mapula Trust, I&J, York, Keep It Simple Surf, Channel Island Surfboards, Surf Emporium, Billabong and RVCA
#Wavescapefestival | facebook.com/wavescapefestival | @WavescapeSA | WavescapeSA