The CBD is literally the heart of Cape Town. Full of buzz, urban energy and café culture, it’s also totally walkable – no cars required!
The city centre is full of small creative businesses, open street events like First Thursdays every month, and creative collaborations of all kinds.
There’s obviously an appeal to living in the centre of town for those who dislike the commute. The pay-off is the noise and constant buzz of town, but that’s a price many are willing to pay for the enhanced lifestyle and convenience of city living. From superb restaurants to live performances, cutting-edge exhibitions and everyday essentials, it’s all right here. The trendy hub of Bree Street has now spread down through Loop Street, Church Street and Long Street, and old establishments happily rub shoulders with trendy newcomers.
The Cape Town City Improvement District keeps the streets clean and maintains a presence of police officers, and The Company’s Garden is an oasis of green in the city. Or simply look up, for views of Table Mountain and Lions Head at almost every turn.
Our favourite food in the area:
• Fine dining at Shortmarket Club
• French bistro at La Tete
• Delicious poke bowls at Hokey Poke
• The best burgers in town at Clarkes
• Fresh Italian at Locanda at Villa 47
• Seafood feasts at SeaBreeze Fish & Shell
Our favourite local attractions:
• First Thursdays gallery hopping
• Picnics in The Company’s Garden
• Latin dancing and salsa at Que Pasa
• City Bowl market in Hope Street
• Movies at the Labia Theatre
• Live jazz at The Crypt Jazz Restaurant
Our favourite after-work drinks:
• Tjing Tjing Rooftop Bar
• Outrage of Modesty
• The Twankey Bar at the Taj Cape Town Hotel
• The Ghibli Bar and Pool Terrace at The Radisson Blu Hotel and Residence
• The House of Machines
“Ultimately it is the buzz in the air. Living in the CBD you can feel things shifting, you can feel Cape Town creatively bubbling, which is why I haven’t moved anywhere else.” Max Botha, owner, Hokey Poke.
Words: Bridget McNulty | Images: Nazreen Essack and Supplied