If you’re looking for value for money with spacious freehold homes and upmarket apartments, look no further than Dunkeld: one of Joburg’s hidden gems. It’s popular both to buy and to rent, so buy-to-let investors are guaranteed income thanks to outstanding rental returns.
Dunkeld is known for its established tree-lined streets, classic homes and superb location: it lies between Jan Smuts Avenue and Oxford Road, and is close to the Rosebank Gautrain station. Neighbouring suburbs include Hyde Park, Illovo, Inanda, Melrose and Rosebank while Sandton CBD, Parkhurst and Joburg CBD are all conveniently close.
It’s a very secure suburb, with a lot of night runners – including the Nike Running Club who run through Dunkeld. And the architecture of some of the homes is beautiful, with a few heritage properties and spacious outdoor areas.
For convenience, there’s Dunkeld West Centre – a local community mall with everything you need. And if you really want to shop up a storm, it’s close enough to Hyde Park Corner, Rosebank Mall, Sandton City and Melrose Arch.
Getting from here to there:
• Availability of public transport including buses and taxis
• Close to major roads and the highway
• Gautrain Bus Route along Jan Smuts Avenue
• Uber and private meter taxis
Our favourite food in the area:
• French food at Arbour Café in Birdhaven
• Fresh baked goods at Fournos Bakery
• Fine dining at DW Eleven-13
• Contemporary cuisine at Marble Restaurant
• Woodfired pizza at Mud Hut at Inanda Club
• Mediterranean food at Mezepoli at the Melrose Arch
Our favourite local attractions:
• Art gallery hopping in Rosebank and Parkwood
• Horse riding at Inanda Club
• National Children’s Theatre in Parktown
• Rosebank Rooftop Market
• Keyes Art Mile in Rosebank
“I love Dunkeld because it’s a small exclusive neighbourhood, you can literally count the houses.” Kgomotso Primrose Moloantoa, resident
Images: Ter Hollman