Just up and over Sir Lowry’s Pass from Somerset West, you’ll find Elgin: the birthplace of Appletiser, home to apples and pears and more recently, wine. Here you’ll find wine tasting, outdoor adventures and unspoilt countryside: the Elgin Valley is the perfect Cape Town weekend getaway.
With Somerset West, Hemel en Aarde and Hermanus just a short drive away, there’s more than enough to keep tourists busy. As part of the Unesco-protected Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve, the area boasts beautiful mountains, the Palmiet River, blue cranes and abundant birdlife. Get into nature with mountain biking trails, kayaking, kloofing and zip-lining.
Elgin is also fast becoming the wedding capital of the Western Cape, for its beautiful scenery, small-town feel and, of course, superb cool climate wines. And there’s something for the whole family, with farm adventures at Old Mac Daddy, jungle gyms at the Peregrine Farm Stall and plenty of swimming, fishing and paddle-boarding on farm dams to keep kids busy.
It’s an authentic, stunning area, filled with magical spots just waiting to be discovered.
Our favourite places to eat:
- American classics at The Hickory Shack
- Country-style fare at Fresh at Paul Cluver
- Mediterranean cuisine at The Pool Room at Oak Valley
- Fresh treats at The Barn at Old Mac Daddy
- Bistro delights at The Gallery at South Hill
- Modern African at Forage at Wildekrans
- The best pizza at The Shuntin Shed Restaurant
- Beautiful surrounds and food at The Club at Elgin Grabouw Country Club
Our favourite local activities:
- Mountain biking on farm and mountain trails.
- Ziplining with Cape Canopy Tour.
- Tractor rides and other adventures at Old Mac Daddy.
- Canoeing at the Mofam River Lodge.
- Picking your own vegetables at Terra Madre.
- Visiting the Peregrine Farm Stall.
- Exploring the Elgin Craft Cider Route.
Our favourite local wine farms:
- Wallovale Vineyards
- Charles Fox Cap Classique Wine Estate
- Almenkerk Wine Estate
- Elgin Vintners
- Iona Wine Farm
- Shannon Vineyards and Wines
- Highlands Road Estate
- Barton Vineyards
“Our guests love the silence! Plus of course the beautiful surroundings – acres and acres of apple orchards and vineyards over tumbling hills, authentic wine farms, farm stay accommodation, farm to table restaurants and farm stalls, stunning wedding venues and many adrenaline pursuits.” – Sandy King, South Hill Vineyards
Words: Bridget McNulty | Images: David Ross, Melissa Delport, Overberg Design, Almenkerk Wine Estate, Barton Villas, Cape Canopy Tour & The Hickory Shack