What initially gained popularity over on the other side of the country (Cape Town) has fast become a popular event in the 031. Every first Thursday of the month, Durbanites find reason to get out – on a school night, nogal – with late-night shopping, eating, drinking and entertainment.
The trend originally gained traction in the buzzing Station Drive precinct. If you’re looking to kick off your First Thursday, then be sure to head there first.
Over at Station Drive
In the trendy Station Drive precinct, you can stop by these posts on your route:
- Music at Distillery 031 – coupled with live DJs and craft cocktails
- A brewery tour and bite to eat at S43 restaurant and bar
- Art exhibitions and a spot of shopping with Jane Sews, at The Commune
- Movies and doccies at The Plant – plus you can also get some delicious street food, drinks and popcorn from Renegade Kitchen
Station Drive also has plenty of other stores to browse in while you socialise and munch on some tasty street-style food. From vintage clothing and unique home decor, to a brand-new tattoo parlour and artisanal take-home snacks and drinks, there’s plenty to keep you busy.
Florida Road has also taken up the trend and now offers its own First Thursday affair. We recommend using Uber between Station Drive and Florida Road – they’re not too far from each other and you can indulge in a few celebratory cocktails or craft beers.
Things to do in Florida Road:
- See art exhibitions and live performances at Sidebar
- Grab a falafel wrap from Falafel Fundi
- Play a round of Fifa at Cityzen Cafe
If you’re still not done with your Thursday night out, then be sure to check out what’s happening at the Rivertown Triangle – packed with more unique shops, foodie stalls and entertainment.
Words: Jenna Kelly | Images: Supplied