Decorative wrought iron pillars and broekie lace are distinctive hallmarks of the beautiful, historic architecture of Florida Road. Stately homes that once housed some of Durban’s leading families line the streets, and although many have been transformed into office space, they have maintained their glorious good looks. Famed for its restaurants and pavement cafes, the area is a magnet for those looking for a good meal. Centrally located, Florida Road is close to a number of very good schools including Clifton, Gordon Road Girls’ School, Durban High School and Maris Stella School.
Properties listed for sale in Walmer comprise approximately 6% of the total sale listings in Port Elizabeth. Approximately 6% of the interest (views) in properties for sale in Port Elizabeth is attributable to properties for sale in Walmer. Properties listed for rent in Walmer comprise approximately 10% of the total rental listings in Port Elizabeth. Approximately 10% of the interest (views) in properties for rent in Port Elizabeth is attributable to properties for rent in Walmer.
Buying in Walmer
The monthly bond repayment to purchase a typical property in Walmer, namely a two-bedroom flat, with the median asking price of R685,000 is R6,497 per month over 20 years at prime of 9,75% with no deposit.
- Clifton School
- Gordon Road Girls’ School
- Durban High School
- Maris Stella School
Best in food
- The Brasserie: fine dining restaurant with beautifully presented food, and attentive but discreet service.
- Spiga d’Oro: situated in the heart of Florida Road this restaurant is a local favourite.
- House of Curries: offering street-style Durban curries.
- Taco Zulu: enjoy the carnival atmosphere, friendly service and contemporary Mexican cuisine.
- Dropkick Murphys: a vibey, Irish-style pub with a loyal following.
- Known as the hub of Durban entertainment
- Beautiful, historic buildings, some well over 100 years.
- African Art Centre
- Mitchell Park
Words: Lea Jacobs