Only 30 minutes from the airport and 20 minutes to town and the Southern Surburbs, Hout Bay properties offer a relaxed holiday lifestyle while still being conveniently close to all the city has to offer. Sweeping views of mountain ranges and the ocean, a number of top schools in the area and a complete infrastructure all make the area an attractive option for buyers. The area is drawing new inhabitants from Johannesburg, as well as a large number of overseas buyers, who are all drawn to the location for the scenery and the lifestyle.
“In terms of affordable family living, I’d struggle to think of another suburb I’d like to live in. Hout Bay literally has everything going for it: mountains, beaches, farms, vineyards, stylish apartments and luxury mountain estates, plus really good restaurants, shops and schools. Whole weekends go by without me leaving the village!” – Catherine Davis
Properties listed for sale in Hout Bay comprise approximately 3% of the total sale listings in Cape Town. Approximately 2% of the interest (views) in properties for sale in Cape Town is attributable to properties for sale in Hout Bay. Properties listed for rent in Hout Bay comprise approximately 4% of the total rental listings in Cape Town. Approximately 3% of the interest (views) in properties for rent in Cape Town is attributable to properties for rent in Hout Bay.
Buying in Hout Bay
The monthly bond repayment to purchase a typical property in Hout Bay, namely a four-bedroom house, with the median asking price of R6m is R58,899 per month over 20 years at prime of 10,25% with no deposit.
Top schools in Hout Bay
- Busy Bees
- Valley Pre-Primary
- Best Buddies
- Llandudno Primary
- Kronendal Primary
- Hout Bay International School
Best in food in Hout Bay
- Massimo’s: famous for serving some of the best pizza in Cape Town.
- Ragafellows: always makes it on the “best burgers in CT” list. The Baylock Burger is a must.
- Spiro’s Greek restaurant: good food in a relaxed, family-friendly environment.
- Kitima’s: a Hout Bay favourite.
- Barney’s Deli: you can create home-cooked meals to take home.
- Dario’s: a small, Italian coffee shop, owned by Dario, who is well known by locals.
- Marina’s Wharf: Great, fresh seafood all year!
- Homely, village feel
- Excellent amenities
- Close to beaches and the city
Words: Belinda Mountain