As one of Johannesburg’s most elite suburbs, Hyde Park is appropriately named after the prestigious London suburb of the same name. Along with places like Sandhurst and Westcliff, you’ll find some of the city’s – and the country’s – most expensive properties here.
At the top end of the scale, Hyde Park features luxurious mansions with state-of-the-art security and beautifully manicured gardens set on thousands of square metres, with property price tags of around R50m or even more. The suburb also contains plenty of luxury clusters and spacious apartments offering convenient “lock up and go” living that can cost anything from R3,5m to R30m. Becoming more scarce, but still available, are several old-style apartment blocks that are more affordable – especially for first-time homebuyers.
Established in 1955, Hyde Park is one of Joburg’s older suburbs, and you can feel this in the quiet suburban streets that are lined with lush, established trees. Despite its sense of peace and quiet, Hyde Park is excellently positioned near Rosebank, Sandton and Melrose Arch. This also means that you’re close to all the major amenities Johannesburg offers: from entertainment and shopping to sports, recreation and more.
Lifestyle in Hyde Park
When it comes to shopping within Hyde Park, though, you can’t really get more high-end than the prestigious Hyde Park Corner shopping centre. Known as “Africa’s Centre of Luxury”, you’ll find premium brands here, from Burberry and Cartier to Chopard and Givenchy. As well as plenty of shopping choices, the centre also features a cinema and several great dining options, including the perennially popular Tashas as well as Life Grand Cafe, Willoughby & Co, Red Chamber and more. The Southern Sun Hyde Park hotel adjoins the centre and is a popular choice among well-heeled Joburgers looking to enjoy a sophisticated drink at the hotel’s rooftop bar, which overlooks Joburg’s man-made forest below.
Whether it’s an exclusive address, luxurious properties, beautifully lush surroundings or top-class shopping you’re looking for, Hyde Park offers all this and more.
“I really like being so close to Sandton and the cluster of suburbs we in Joburg call “The Parks”. Being right next-door to Rosebank, Sandton, Melrose and various main roads, everything you need is simply a short drive away.”
Andrew Ozorio, resident.
- Shop, watch movies, eat and drink at Hyde Park Corner Shopping Centre.
- For more shopping and entertainment options, head to Rosebank and Sandton just a short drive away.
- Watch cricket, play golf, swim, play hockey and tennis or go to the gym at nearby The Wanderers sports club.
- Meander through the gorgeously landscaped gardens of private Hyde Park homes during open-garden season.
Best in food
- Make up your own salad at Life Grand Cafe.
- Choose one of the many fresh open sandwiches for lunch at Tashas.
- Enjoy sushi or dim sum at So Yum.
- Share an Italian meal with friends under the starts at Modo Mio in the cobbled courtyard of Shepherd Market.
- Meet for a glass of wine and tapas at Ace & Pearl in neighbouring Craighall Park.
- Enjoy a sundowner cocktail at the rooftop bar of the Southern Sun Hyde Park Hotel
- Close to the Sandton and Rosebank Gautrain stations, and part of the Gautrain bus route.
- Near Corlett Drive, which feeds onto the M1 highway
- Bordered by Jan Smuts Avenue and William Nicol Drive, two key arterial roads within the city that form part of key Metrobus routes.
Words: Catherine Black